The Lourdes High School Religion Department invites and challenges our students to:
• encounter Jesus, Son of God, the second person of the Trinity
• engage in our encounter with the Holy
• experience the reality of God in our lives and in the lives of all the people we encounter
• express God’s love to all
• explore the mystery and significance of the Holy Spirit and the power for living the spirit provides In our Lourdes community we passionately strive to live our Franciscan charism; St. Francis’ call to – “Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary use words.”
Religion Department Curriculum Summary
Lourdes High School Religion Department offers a four-year curriculum program that is seamless in its presentation of Catholic perspective as well as respectful of the developmental stages of our students. The curriculum includes appropriate attention to Scripture and Tradition, emphasizes the truths of our lives in the Presence of God, and challenges us to responsibility toward the Dignity of Human Life. Students are enrolled in one Religion Course each semester.
- 9th grade: Catholic Foundations I: Introduction to Scripture/ II: Dignity of the Human Person
- 10th grade: Christology I/ Christology II
- 11th grade: Ecclesiology/ Church History
- 12th grade: Christian Life and Relationship/ Catholic Social Justice
Franciscan Pilgrimage opportunity for Lourdes students
Students in grades 11 and 12, have the opportunity to enroll in the first semester elective course, Franciscan Foundations, which prepares them for a pilgrimage to Rome and Assisi, Italy. This experience is designed for a deeper understanding of our faith in relation to Saint Francis and Clare of Assisi. Franciscan spirituality carries on the legacy begun in Rochester Catholic Schools by the Sisters of Saint Francis. Mr. Robert Gardner coordinates the Franciscan Foundations course, and the pilgrimage. Franciscan Pilgrimage Programs serves as the travel agency for all reservations. The cost of this pilgrimage which includes airfare, five nights in Assisi, and three nights in Rome, Italy (December 27, 2016 – January 5, 2017) is $2,950. Scholarships are available.